What Do I Need to Borrow Library Materials?
- You must be a visitor or member of ICTP, TWAS, DFT or SISSA.
- First, you need to register at the Information Desk and issue a Library card, or validate the bar-coded badge issued to participants in ICTP activities. Your registration will remain valid for the duration of your visit.
- Cards / badges may only be used by their owners. No item may be borrowed on behalf of another person, or transferred to another person without authorization by the Library.
What Materials Are Available for Loan?
- Most Library materials can be borrowed: books, journals (except current issues), dissertations, CD-ROMs and DVDs.
- Reference collection items, Diploma collection books and any item on temporary display, such as newly arrived books, journals, magazines, or materials needed during courses, normally cannot be loaned but can be consulted in the Library.
How Many Items Can I Borrow, and for How Long?
- A maximum of 8 books or bound journal volumes can be borrowed for 30 days. A waiting list on the item will limit the loan to 7 days.
A maximum of 5 unbound journal issues, CD-ROMs or DVDs can be borrowed on temporary loan for 1 day.
- Loans can be renewed twice, if there is no waiting list. Renewals can be made by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), by phone or in person.
Items taken on temporary loan cannot be renewed. Long overdue items will not be renewed.
- Restrictions on the number and duration of loans may be applied during courses.
How Do I Know when an Item Is Overdue?
- The automated circulation system generates and sends out recall messages for overdue items by email. You are expected to reply promptly.
- All loans may be recalled at any time, if urgently needed by other users or by the Library.
Where Am I to Return Loans?
- Loans must be returned to the Information Desk during opening hours. Always check that the items are cancelled from your records.
Is There Any Penalty for Late Returns?
- No fine is charged for late returns. However, visitors may temporarily lose borrowing privileges, after two disregarded notices.
How Can I Reserve an Item Already on Loan?
- If an item is on loan, you can reserve it by contacting the Information Desk, in person or by email (email@example.com). Once the item is returned, you will be notified via email. The item will be kept on hold for you for 4 days; after which, it will be made available for the next in list, or reshelved.
What Happens if I Lose or Damage Library Materials?
- Lost or damaged Library materials must be reported promptly to the Information Desk. Payment may be required for its replacement.
- If you find out that an item you have just borrowed was already damaged, report it to the Information Desk immediately; otherwise, you might be held responsible for the damages.
What Should I Do when I Leave Trieste?
- All borrowed items must be returned in case of temporary absence from Trieste, also for a limited period of time; and, of course, in case of departure.
- No formal clearance is needed by the Library. Just contact the Information Desk to make sure that nothing is pending.